Версия для слабовидящих transparent_line
Lyahovichi district
executive committee
(
fotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_image
Menu
h_line_delimetr
About district


 
Read more...
 
History

The Liahovichi district is a part of Brest region. The district is founded on January, 15, 1940. The centre of district is the town Liahovichi. The town is first mentioned in written sources in the middle of XV-th century. Its first name the town got apparently from the first settlers – liahow (Polen), which found a fatherland on the hospitable western-Russian ground. Here in 1546 Fedor Ewlashevskiy, the author of historical memoirs, being also at present days an important source about the life of Lithuanian-Russian gentry and events of the second half of ХVI-th century, was born.

In the ХVI-th century the small town Liahovichi became famous as a fortified castle, was in possession of Wladimir Zabolotskiy. Then the town went over to representative of magnate family Hadkevich – Yan Eromin. His son, Yan Korol, hetman of Great Lithuanian Principality, famous for his victories over Sweden (1605) and Turken (1621), has reconstructed and fortified the Liahovichi castle, transformed it to an unassailable fortress "Liahovichi fortification".

Constructed on the left bank of the river Vedma, the castle had an island location. It was surrounded by the river; a dam was carved through the river. It was possible to get to the castle only with a help of drawbridge through a ditch filled with water and the tower gate. In the centre of fortification stand a two-storied palace.

After a death of Y.K. Hadkevich (1921) the family Sapeghi took possession of Liahovichi with neighbourhood territory. Liahovichi fortress was considered in XVII century as one of the most significant in Belarus. However as a result of long wars and sieges the town has come to desolation and at the end of XVI century remained a small place. Its inhabitants - Belarusians, Jews, Tatars - were engaged in agriculture, fine trade and craft.

After the second division of Rzecz Pospolita in 1793 Liahovichi became a part of Russia. Since 1795 Liahovichi was the centre of a volost of the Slutskiy uyezd of Minsk province.

After the end of construction of the Polesskiy railway section Baranovichi-Luninets in 1885 the population of Liahovichi began to increase, the place got trading significance. In 1897 5000 thousand persons lived here.

From 1915 till 1918 during the First World War Liahovichi was situated in a Russian front zone. On February, 18, 1918 the place was occupied with the armies of Kaiser Germany, that didn’t allowed consolidating here the Soviet regime, restored here in December, 1918 after the attack of Red Army. In the years of bourgeois Poland Liahovichi was a centre of gmina (volost) in Baranovichi powiat of Nowogrudok woewodship. On September, 18, 1939 the Soviet regime in Liahovichi is again restored.

In 1941-1944 years the district has been occupied by fascist armies. The memory of fascism victims is kept in 43 communal graves, monuments, obelisks and memorial boards. A glory barrow on the place of Soviet Army fights against coming German armies during the first days of war on the left bank of the river Shscara near the village Mazurka is constructed.

Since 1954 the Liahovichi district is included in the structure of Brest region. In the district numerous monuments of history, culture, architecture and archeology are kept. The greatest interest represent the Pokrovskaya church in the village Krivoshin, constructed in 1670, the Peter and Paul church in the village Medvedichi, constructed in 1908 in the style neoborocco, the Saint religious church in the v. B.Podlesye - a monument of cult architecture with elements of classicism, constructed in the second half of the ХVIII century.

Manors and park ensembles are well kept here: the park Repihovo, Soveyki, Svoyatichi, the manors Grushevka, Fleryanovo, Nacha, Voshkovtsy and the others – in total 14. In the town Liakhovichi, on the left bank of the river Vedma, on the place where the castle "Liahovichi fortification" was, a memorable stone-boulder with an image of the Liahovichi emblem and a guard sign in 1999 was established.

With the history of the town Liahovichi and the Liahovichi district names of many known people are connected. In 1546 in Liahovichi the author of historical memoirs Fedor Ewlashevskiy was born. In the former manor Repihovo his childhood Yan Chachot, one of the founders of new Belarusian literature, has spent. In the v. Rachkany in 1911 the Belarusian poet, participant of a communistic underground in the Western Belarus Yanka Chabor was born.

Read more...
 
About district


The map of Liahovichi District
(Zoom in - to increase, Zoom out - to reduce)

The Liahovichi district is situated in the East of the Brest region. The area of the district makes 1353,55 km. The town Liahovichi is an administrative centre of the district, is situated in 224 km in the northern-eastern part of the regional centre – Brest, in 170 km from the city Minsk and in 22 km from the town Baranovichi. The Liahovichi district shares its borders with Baranovichi, Gantsevichi, Ivatsevichi districts of the Brest region, and also with the Kletsk district of the Minsk region.

The structure of the district includes 11 rural Councils: Goncharovskiy, Zherebkovichskiy, Konjkovskiy, Krivoshinskiy, Kurshinovichskiy, Nachevskiy, Novoselkovskiy, Olkhovskiy, Ostrovskiy, Podlesskiy, Sviatitskiy, the town of district submission and 124 rural settlements. Population of the district makes 35,8 thousand people, including 65% of rural population. The average density of population makes 27 people/km?. Capacity for work of population is about 17 thousand people, less than 50%.

Relief is plain, mainly low-lying. Predominant heights are 153-218 m. The greatest height is 253,3 m (near v. Schastnovichi), the least 150,3 m lower than a sea level (near v. Tukhovichi). Forests (parks) occupies about 510 km? (37,6 % of the territory). 50% of grounds are used for agricultural needs.

The rivers of the district belong to Neman basin (Shchara-133,9 km, Vedma-23,7  km, Lipnianka-25,8 km, Shchevelevka, Nacha, Svidrovka, Myshanka). The rivers are not navigable. On the territory of the district following reservoirs are situated: Minichskoe (540 he), Netchinskoe (107 he), the Liahovichskiy reservoir in a head of the river Vedma, it is located within the precincts of the town.

There are 11 industrial and 18 agricultural enterprises in the district. The main branch is a processing industry. The base of agricultural industry is meat and milk specialization with a developed grain and flax cultivation.

Read more...
 



Banner
Contact
Lyahovichi district
executive committee
225372, Liahovichi, Lenin place, 3,
e-mail: lyahovrik@brest.by
h_line_delimetr
Banner
Banner
Lyahovichi district
executive committee
225372, Liahovichi, Lenin place, 3,
e-mail: lyahovrik@brest.by
Web-site elaboration by
the BRMUE "Centre of Inculcation of Scientific and Technical Researches"
Kamenets Brest Malorita Zhabinka Pruzhany Kobrin Bereza Drogichin Ivatsevichi Ivanovo Baranovichi Liahovichi Gantsevichi Pinsk Luninets Stolin